Tell your story.

Posted by Unknown | Posted in , , , , , , | Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2011

That is one of the most important things I was told after reading the first seven pages of what is to become my first full-length book to a group of writers I meet with every week. "Tell your story." That is my plan. The first words hit the page just a few days ago and it has started off slowly. Transitioning from writing mostly poetry to re-introducing prose into the mix has been my most difficult task.


The story is all upstairs. Imagined and envisioned within the workings of my skull. Morphing the idea and imagery into words on a page feels like a futile alchemy experiment at times. But I've got the engine turning. Now it's just a matter of pumping in some fuel.

My characters have begun to breath and speak. They choose their words and actions. Where they roam. How they see and feel. What they believe. How they love, or don't love. Choices. Now, all I need to remember is to let myself breath while I record their lives.

So, I will tell my story. Let it bleed onto the page. Let my mind and hands take over. Let my characters speak to me and one another. 

"Writing is nothing more than a guided dream."
~Jorge Luis Borges

“If you do not breathe through writing, if you do not cry out in writing,
 or sing in writing, then don't write, because our culture has no use for it.”
~Anais Nin

“There is no rule on how to write. Sometimes it comes easily and perfectly; 
sometimes it's like drilling rock and then blasting it out with charges.”
~Ernest Hemingway



Comments (0)

Post a Comment